Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Happy Birthday! Cabbage Patch Kids Turn 25!

It was 1983, and I was 9 years old. We had just moved across the country away from all my friends. In fourth grade, I found myself in a new class in a new state, trying to make some new friends. If you have kids, you probably know that fourth grade girls can be meaner than a skillet full of rattlesnakes. (as they say in the south) In fact, they can make hornets seem cuddly.

Anyway, I eventually survived the fourth grade territory war, but in the mean time, I played by myself a lot. But not really by myself.

In 1983, there was a craze started by a bunch of adorable little kids, straight out of the Cabbage Patch, who needed adopting. My mom stood in line for hours to get one of the coveted kids, however, she was worried that she might not be able to get one at the store. So, she had ordered one on the phone as well. (They didn't have Amazon.com back then!) I then had two, and after that, more Cabbage Patch Kids trickled into my room and my life. I used to have picnics with them, take care of them, change their clothes and diapers. I absolutely loved them!

Where are they now? They're in a curio cabinet in my mom's house along with my other dolls. And thanks to the Cabbage Patch Kids' 25th Anniversary, my kids have one just like I did as a child. The one that Team Mom sent me is an exact replica of one of my dolls. Her name is Ona, and my three girls love her to death! Here are a few snapshots from a day in the life of a Cabbage Patch Kid!

I couldn't find Ona, so I asked my two year old if she'd seen her? "I show you!" She said, and opened up the cabinet door, revealing her secret nap spot! "She seeping."


"Wake up!"


Going camping in the living room.



And then, they had a picnic in the front yard! Ah, the memories!



The 25th Anniversary Cabbage Patch Kids are in stores now, and they're made from the same molds and materials as the originals. You can visit the website at www.cabbagepatchkids25.com, and share your own memories of the original CPKs! There are also games and activities for the kids (your real ones, that is!)

Did you have Cabbage Patch Kids when your were little? Do have any memories you'd like to share?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn't have one of the real CPK's when I was a little girl. I wanted one but there were none to be found. My mom got me a cheap knock off from a flea market. Since he wasn't the real thing he didn't come with a name and I got to name him myself. I loved that little guy! I did eventually get a real CPK but I was at the age of losing interest in dolls by then.

I love to see that these anniversary dolls are coming out and women are getting to relive a bit of their childhood with their daughters.